College is a Community

When I first began college, I wasn't sure what I wanted to be when I grew up, and I wasn't exactly sure that I wanted to even grow up. But it was either go to college, or get as job and start paying rent; college, at the time, seemed like the cheaper option.



Rather than go away to school and come out with mortgage-sized debt that would require me to sell my internal organs to pay it off, I decided on community college which would buy me two years to figure out what was next. 


I drove to school, as most do at community college, and my college had and issue with parking. There were, quite literally, zero parking spaces on campus, at least for the first month of school. After circling the campus for 20 minutes, and finding no parking spaces, I parked on the grass, next to other cars that there was no parking for, and I walked like a half a mile to class.

When I got to my car later that day, I found a ticket on my windshield. I debated the campus police but they seemed to get paid commission for each ticket and they were more concerned with watching tv and checking out the college girls, than dealing with me. The community college circuit may be attracting the bravest, but not necessarily the smartest, in law enforcement.

For day 2, I parked on the grass next to a car that already had a ticket. I took that car's ticket, and put it on my windshield. When I came out later that day, I took the ticket off of my windshield, I put it back on the original car next to the new ticket the cop had written for it. So I had not tickets and the car next to me had two tickets. The cops, more than likely, had to tear up one of the tickets while being confused as to how they had given the same car two tickets in one day. Had they been concerned with policing and not checking out girls, they would have caught on to my rouse which, of course, they didn't.

After a week or so of car swapping, I got tired of walking and I parked right outside my classroom window. I figured if I was going to get a ticket, and a ticket for parking far away from class was the same fine as parking right next to class, I would rather save myself the walk. What I didn't anticipate is that the lazy cops wouldn't think that anyone would park on the grass up against the building, so I received no tickets.

Others began to follow suit and the cops were eventually, forced to change their ticketing policy for cars parked on the grass when all lots were full. Even when the parking lots cleared out after the first month, community college students are like New Year's resolution gym goers in January, I still parked right outside my classroom. And I never did pay any tickets.