Fire it up

My first car was a Pontiac Fiero. It was one of the first off the assembly line and it came with a 4 speed manual transmission and almost nothing else. It had a cassette player but no air conditioning. It had aluminum wheels but no power steering. I loved it in a way that only an 18 year old boy can love his first car. 


I owned it for 5 1/2 years and over that time, I put a GT nose on it, GT rims, a GT spoiler, a new motor and I lowered it 2 1/2 inches. The car was so low and the suspension was so stiff, that I (half) joked that I could run over a dime and tell whether it was heads or tails. 


Not all of the modifications I made were planned. When the wipers wouldn't turn off, I pulled the fuse. And when it rained, I put the fuse back in. When it was raining just enough that I needed intermittent wipers, which the Fiero didn't have, I would put the fuse in, then pull it out again, then put it in again, thus clearing my windshield without overdoing it. 

The emergency brake failed so I had a log in the driveway to put behind the tire so it wouldn't roll away...until one day, the log wasn't enough and, even with me behind it, it took out our mailbox. 

I also had a headlight go out that I couldn't afford to replace, so I turned the brights on and adjusted the lights down as to not blind oncoming drivers...that is until the high beam on the opposing side went out. So I had a high beam on one side and a low beam on the other side. When I flashed other cars from behind, they'd pull over thinking I was a cop. 

I had a slim jim from work which help you break into locked cars. I practiced on the Fiero and I ended up popping the rods on both dooirs so neither would open. So I removed the pins on one of the doors so I could reach up from underneath and unlock the door...for about a year, my girlfriend had to climb through the passenger window and I called her Daisy Duke. 

I dated two girls, for a while anyway, and they both knew about each other, and I tried to be discrete about it. One day, I was driving from seeing one of them to spending time with the other. Halfway through the trip, I pulled over to the side of the highway to refresh the deodorant which was in my locked trunk. The Fiero had a starter with a flat spot so every 10th or 11th time, it wouldn't start. I've pushed it across icy parking lots and up hills to get enough momentum to pop start it. This day, as luck would have it, was the day it wouldn't start. The Fiero was pointing slightly uphill and me pushing from inside the door jam, wasn't enough to get it going. So, me being in college, I used my book smarts and got behind the car and began pushing. Apparently, my gym workouts had be yielding such good results that I was able to get the Fiero moving and it accelerated away from me. So I was a good 15 feet behind the Fiero chasing on the side of the highway and cars sped past. I eventually caught up enough to dive, yes dive, and grab the inside of the door jamb while the tops of my sneakers dragged across the pavement. I was able to pull myself up into the car and pop start it to make it in time for date #2. The first this she asked me, even before she hugged me hello, was "What happened to your new sneakers?" 

I didn't have much money and I don't remember feeling broke. And if I had money to fix everything that needed to be fixed, well that would have ruined all my fun.