Keeping on My Toe(s) or Landing on My Feet

I was on a super stressful phone call with a grad school classmate. We had completed the grad school group work that he had declined to contribute to and he wanted me to redo work that had been already done and submitted. And it’s funny that people say they want to help and their help requires you doing additional work. And I couldn’t have this conversation sitting down, I needed to pace. This was late night, and I had the lights off, and MacBook cords everywhere, and I was focused on the conversation, and my big toe got hung-up, mid stride. I caught myself, kind of, and I wish my reflexes were worse because I would’ve just fallen on soft carpet.


I pivoted sideways a bit off camber, landed with all of my weight on my big toe, then spun, my opposing foot landing on the mini trampoline, which sprung me enough to launch me face first in a big potted plant. Holding foot, spitting dirt from my teeth, I lay on the floor in the dark listening to all of the work I would have to redo. I considered telling my classmates about my late night mishap, but I don’t think they would have believed me.