English is Still Quite Cryptic


I had a friend, she was English, well she spoke with an English accent anyway, and she had a habit of saying, ‘bloody’ constantly. Maybe it was normal for her and, although I originally thought she was from London, it turns out she grew up in South Africa but it might be worth it to note that I’ve been a New York boy all my life so the term ‘bloody’ was somewhat out of my wheelhouse, well that is unless someone was bleeding, so when I first got to know her, hearing that word caused pause, well in the beginning and then I sort of got used to it but after a while, I began to think about how I would use it, could use it, in everyday language. She once said, ‘my bloody hand’ and I wasn’t sure if she meant just her hand, or her hand which happened to be bleeding. Our conversation went something like this:

Me: Did you just say bloody hand?
Her: Yes I did.
Me: Does that mean your hand or your hand that is bleeding?
Her: It means my hand.
Me: Well I can see your hand and I can see it’s not bleeding, but what if I couldn’t? How would I know if it was bleeding or not?
Her: Well I would tell you.
Me: Would you say your bloody, bloody hand or just bloody hand?
Her: I would say my bloody hand.
Me: Well how would that denote that the hand is bleeding? And even if one of your hands was bleeding, you could be talking about the non-bleeding hand. You do have two.
She laughed and called me a "bloody @#$%" and we never really did resolve the issue and it just turned into this conversation that should have been covered on Seinfeld or even Curb.