A Fight at a Funeral with a Felonious Footballer

I know it seems like the plot of a bad Mel Brooks movie, but I got into a fight at a funeral - maybe I should have said Larry David and perhaps it wasn’t really a fight - would you believe a heated debate with a piece of Italian bread thrown? - and this wasn't just with anyone, my fight was with the brother of the deceased who just happened to be an NFL linebacker, and a murderer, alleged, but that’s a bit premature…I should have mentioned that part first, and he didn’t kill his brother, and at the time, no one knew he had ‘possibly’ killed someone; he was like the spy only his handler knew about.

I already told the story of a friend who had committed suicide, and this was that friend, who I called Chuck, not his real name, but it seems appropriate considering how he had so casually tossed his life away. Chuck was a rehab outpatient when we first met and he was clean for a good number of years before the backslide…first it was beer, then cigarettes with pot right on its heels, and we got an “it’s just a cigarette dude, chill the fuck out” every time we brought it up so we stopped bringing it up and yada, yada, there we were at his funeral, a wake actually, with three hours in between sessions and me attending, per the mother’s request, dinner with the immediate family - it turned out to be the shortest dinner in the history of the world. 

I was close with two of the three brothers and the third, the football Erik, who was built like a young Frankenstein, I knew in passing. As bread was broken, the blame was passed around with most pointing the finger at themselves wishing they had done this or said that, the rearview mirror armchair quarterback type talk that probably goes on after most suicides, and then there was Erik. 

He had been an absentee brother somewhere across the country which might as well have been Romania with everyone else doing the heavy lifting but he somehow came with his luggage filled with enough blame for us all. He pointed and things said under his breath became shouts before long with us accused of everything short of being the second shooter on the grassy knoll. And then came my turn, which I expected, but not in the way I expected it. The fault was with me being there at all since I wasn’t blood family, and I got his point, I just took issue with the way he pointed. 

The mother defended me saying that I had just as much right, maybe more than him since his plate remained empty for more than a few Christmases. He pointed and shot, “Get him the fuck out of here. I want him gone.” He got louder and more aggressive and the Italian bread I was eating somehow, someway, hit him in the face. I’m not saying I threw it, I’m also not saying that I don’t throw it, but some jumped up, and chairs flipped back, and the whole lot of us spilled out into the parking lot with my 5’10” 175lb frame dwarfed by his 6’2” 250lb mass; he thought he was a real Smartacus, yet he seemed clumsy, very clumsy. 

I might have been a little less aggressive if I had known that he had known the old ‘I killed someone and didn’t get caught’ trick. And no it wasn’t in Iraq and it didn’t happen amidst the chaos of war. There was one girl and two guys and one wound up with a bullet hole in him with his blood on the outside…it was a question of who done it for over a decade. 

We all know that personal recollection is inaccurate and that eighty-six people in the same time and place have very different accounts and there were probably a few people there who could poke holes in my story. It’s been fourteen years and some will say I pulled out an Uzi and others will remember a small disagreement over how much to tip; the truth is probably somewhere in the middle. There are only a few things I know for sure: the crime was in 1994 and the arrest in 2009 and somewhere in that fifteen year time frame, I almost fought a professional football player at his brother’s funeral, and a piece of Italian bread paid the ultimate price.