A Date with a Bird

I hit an animal, well not on purpose, not really, and it’s not like I punched one or it was in one corner and I was in the other and we squared off like Rocky and Clubber and it wasn’t a case of me saying ‘he hit me first’ like in that old Bill Cosby skit and I was in my Honda and the car really did the hitting and I wasn’t speeding, well not really, and my hands were at 9 and 3 (they don’t teach the 10 and 2 technique anymore because a deploying airbag could turn your forearms into matchsticks) and it wasn’t a large animal either, it was small and I’m not sure if I realized I hit it at the time. 


I am an animal lover, uh, make that a lover of animals, the former sounds like we date, and I’m okay with leaving animals alone as long as they stay out of my space which includes my house and my car and my shoes and the ten or so feet in front of my car while I’m driving but once they cross the line, all bets are off and they’re fair game, and that brings me to last Wednesday. It was a day, just like any other day, I left my small town for the job that’s in decay. It was our destiny, It’s what I normally do, he got in my way, I got in his way too. 

I see birds all of the time and I don’t mean attractive girls in England but the flighty kind, and I still don’t means girls of any kind, but birds of a feather who sometimes flock together. I often marvel at how quickly they change direction and I just think they’re showing off because I couldn't do that even if I was still in my twenties and running marathons and ate like a bird. But I was probably doing 70 or 80 and I remember seeing something come across the windshield and I, honesty, didn’t think about it again, until I got home.


I park my car in the street when I get the mail and block my mailbox because, sometimes, and I think they do it on purpose, my neighbors drive by a bit too close and I’d rather they hit the car instead of me as I have this strange addiction to breathing in and out; call me sentimental. And when I came around the front of the car, that’s when I saw it. Affixed to the front of my car was a little bird and he was upside down. I had to look at him for a minute just to make sure he was dead and then I still wasn’t sure. 

But he was, or maybe it was a she, I didn’t check, and I really wouldn’t know how to but perhaps I could have waited and noticed which bathroom it flew into, connected to the front of my car as if it was checking if I had a Hemi under the hood, which I don’t, it’s a Honda, but I did have 240 ponies in there which I thankfully don’t have to pick up the poop for. 

But the fact remained that I killed a bird and I thought, just for a moment, that it could have been a suicide like the person who is walking on the street when someone jumps off a building and splat is where I came in. So now I had a problem, I had committed Birder or Murduck or Heckle-and-Jeckle-icide even though it was just the one Tweety-sized bird and I didn’t see a putty-tat to push the blame, and I had this little bird attached to the grill, grilled birdie if you will. 

Instead of pulling into the garage like I normally do, I went out on the highway and got the Honda up to 90, officer that is not an admission of guilt, and nothing; the bird was still there. I drove through some long grass and I still had a hood ornament; that little birdie had my hood in a death grip. I parked in the garage and played the ostrich role just expecting this to resolve itself. 


The next morning, I fired up the Honda and off I went with a literal wingman as my wingman. My commute is 62 miles, one way, and for the first 10 or 15 minutes, I try to keep it between 80 and 100mph; the end of my commute has me back at 90 or so and I figured that would that would be enough. It wasn’t. It’s been a few days and over 500 miles and my little buddy is still hanging in there.