Call Me Harry

Just call me Harry, and not like Harry and the Hendersons or Harry Potter or Harry Caray or Harry Houdini, even though I am quite magical, or Prince Harry, although I am sometimes referred to as royalty, or even Hari Kari which is also referred to as Seppuku and sounds like something I’d like to try with soy sauce and a side of rice. I was a Harry to a Sally and it had to be her meaning we began as friends and it blossomed into something more, more than we both wanted to admit at the time and I have to admit I wasn't faking it. This happened during the release of the film When Harry Met Sally with a somewhat sardonic Harry Burns (burns? really? does it have to be that on the nose?) playing opposite the cheery Sally Albright (all bright? does Rob Reiner think we’re that dumb?) and posed the question, perhaps for the first time, can women and men be friends without sex getting in the way?


We watched the movie with her mother and when the friends and sex issue came up, I looked at her and she looked at me and we somehow knew what the other one was thinking and I was thinking that's it's so nice when you can watch a movie with someone and not have to talk and when she glanced over to see if her mother had noticed, her mother gave her that “I’ll have what she’s having” sort of look.

You can visit Craigslist for any location in United States and, in the relationship section, you’ll see any number of postings for Sally Seeks Her Harry. This holds true for dating websites and it's more true for women than for men as women want the romance with friends first, while guys seems to want sex within the first 30 seconds of meeting, and I personally don’t know any Harrys or Sallys, at least under the age of 80, and I think it’s somewhat ironic that director Rob “Meathead” Reiner was married to Sally Struthers, at least on All in the Family, as she was probably the last child on earth to be given that name which in some states could be considered child abuse.


But I was the Harry to a Sally and most would say we that together we were as corny as days of the week underpants or the term baby fish mouth and we both agree that it was quite magical, that’s the Houdini part, but we didn’t have the awkward beginning the movie characters had, she was the dark one who read the last page of a book first but she did, however, dot the i in her name with a little heart, and, although we probably should have been together, we spent New Years Eve with other people. We called the whole thing off without actually doing it is the best way I can explain it and it would have made it easier, but she made it impossible for me to hate her and we did get together some 19 years after we first met after we had both moved on and it was that familiarity two old friends have and she still fit that old pair of Levis I had forgotten were buried in the bottom of the closet. We thought, well I thought anyway, that it would be safe now as there was a marriage and a few kids between us becoming anything more than friends again and I think it caught us both by surprise when the feelings came unexpectedly like that dust at an Arizona wedding just before the vows and when I found myself wanting to spend more time with her, I wanted that more time to begin as soon as possible, even though she had me on the side


Barry Manilow did it as we were in her car and she had me grab the CD and told me which track to play and we’ve always been Fanilows (I'm not gay, really I'm not) and I know the song and I knew what it meant and what she meant more than if she had explained it. Somewhere Down the Road let me know that although we’re not, we will be and it will somehow, all fall magically into place, somewhere down the road. We pulled into the garage and the song was still playing and she had her foot firmly on the brake, the car was still in drive for a good thirty seconds before I put it into park and that’s when she placed her hand on top of mine, and her eye caught mine and when she gave me that you’ve got something on your face sort of look it was then that I realized that college Harry was right, and no matter where or when, we could never be just friends.