It's All in a Name


I have one of those names that if I spell it for people, they get offended but if I don’t, they spell it wrong. It’s not an overly complicated name or one that’s uncommon. It’s not too long at just five letters and there are famous people who don it. It's not like Aimee or Jeanie or Genia or Marc or Sean or Derick or Michel and I'm not a Michael who hates being called Mikey or Mick or even Mike. I can’t tell you the numbers of times I’ve walked around with a “My Name Is” sticker on my shirt with the wrong name in permanent Sharpie. I’ve been called Greg and I can see the confusion there. But it’s been Graig and Creg (is that really a name?) and Crag (which I don’t blame on people as I do have chiseled features and a rock-hard physique) and Frank….wtf? Frank, really? It’s not that Frank is a bad name, it’s just not mine. And it seems there really is no solution and no real way to be constantly and consistently called by my correct name, that is unless I get a job with a name on my shirt; and this is assuming that the guy who makes the shirt labels will spell it correctly.