The Other Girl

I’m not sure when a girl stops becoming a girl, not that she becomes a man or anything, but at some point she transforms, like a butterfly, into a woman but maybe your girl can be your girl no matter her age. This isn’t about my girl and I’m not even sure if I can still call her my girl but there is another girl, friend, and not a girlfriend, commas matter, she’s a friend who happens to be a girl, for now, not that she’s going to stop being a girl, that would be weird, we’re just friends, for now, and that came out a lot smoother than expected. 

She and my girlfriend were like two peas in a pod or on a plate, because there are usually more than two in the pod, but the two of them separated from the rest and huddled by the edge because just two peas on a plate would just be too weird. With my girlfriend gone, she’s not dead or anything, but we all know this so it’s not like I’m the couch with Oprah, but my friend has stepped into some of the roles my girlfriend used to fill. 


It’s not really my fault as they’re so much alike and they clicked right away and I’m convinced that I could have left the room and come back six months later and twenty pounds lighter and with a Tom Hanks beard, and they would still be chatting away. It’s weird for me that one has been replaced by the other and it was never my choice and we’ve all spoken about it and I’m sure this was done by some intelligent design and I thought it might feel strange, but she feels like that pair of Levi's I've had since college and I’ve been told that if you take any man and any woman, and put them together on a deserted island (and with them on it, it wouldn’t be deserted anymore), they’d fall in love. 

I get the point of that statement even if it is largely untrue because if you put me and Rosie O’Donnell on Gilligan's Island, inside of two days I’d be between two slices of bread with a bite taken out of my side. That being said, proximity plays a role if there is or could be attraction and right now her hip is in direct proximity of my hip as we're sitting on the couch side by side so I better stop here before she realizes this is about her.