It's Quite Engaging

I recently became engaged and when I say engaged I don't mean in battle or even in interesting conversation. I am behooved to be betrothed to my beloved. So me and my girlfriend are getting married or make that my fiancé and I are now engaged but she was just my girlfriend until I asked her or she's really engaged and I just happen to be the guy who was standing next to her when it happened.


And I'm not sure why I call her my fiancé and we use a french word for something that took place in Manhattan and she's not even French but she does like Italian dressing on her french fries.

We've only been been together a short time and I knew she was the one from the moment I met her kind how you know about a good melon. And apparently I'm the right one for her but that could be chalked up to the fact that a woman can't say no to a guy offering her a bright shiny diamond ring. When I handed her the ring, she never looked up or hugged me or even acknowledged that I was in the room. She just kept looking at the ring and saying "Yes, yes, I'll love you forever." I'm convinced I could have gone to the Caribbean for a week and when I came back, she'd still would have been staring at the ring promising it the two of them would never be apart.

This engagement really hasn't changed me and I have been pretty much business as usual. Aside from having to part with about $12,000 for the ring, giving up three-quarters of my closets, and having to move my Jeep to the other side of the garage, not a lot is different. There's no extra spring in my step and no rings on my fingers. When I run into old friends and I tell them I'm engaged, they say "That really sucks dude. The fun had to end sometime. So who is the lucky girl who gets half your junk?" Now she is a different story.


When she runs into friends she hasn't seen in a while, she naturally has to tell them all about the new special thing in her life and how she loves it with all of her heart and it never leaves her sight; namely the ring. It's gotten to the point where I don't even become a part of the conversation, even when I'm standing right next to her. "Can you believe it? Can you believe it? Just look at it. Wooooo." This engagement has turned her into a Woooo girl. She sees someone she knows and they'll start Wooooing like one car alarm setting off the alarms around them. Then she thrusts her arm out with her ring leading the way while chanting the 4 C's; "it's got less calories and better taste than leading brands." No wait, that's the iced tea. The 3 Cs are what all women know; cut, color, and of course you guessed it, cost. And cost is the most important of them. I was naive enough to think she's just wanted a nice ring, but she got sucked in like all women do. And she had to ask because she knew her friends would ask. "How much was it? Wait, I don't want to know. But I have to know. Did you spend what a guy is supposed to spend? And it better not be using the two months that you didn't work any overtime."

She's had this wedding planned since she was a little girl. The only involvement ill have, besides standing next to her at the ceremony is, of course, paying for everything. Speaking of that, I need to get back to work.